Financial Assistance is available for dislocated workers through the Workforce Investment Act of 1998.  A dislocated worker is defined in three ways:

  • A person who has been laid-off from his/her job for no fault of his/her own, usually through downsizing or plant closure;
  • A person who is a displaced homemaker;
  • A person who was financially supported by a dislocated worker.

To be considered for WIA funds, a student must be admitted to an approved program, must have applied for a Pell Grant and must have registered with the Mississippi State Employment Service.  Eligibility is determined through the local WIN center.