Providing a more advanced source at a better price
Getting started with eBooks……
Several courses at Meridian Community College are now offering textbooks in an electronic format (eBook). For each course where an eBook is provided, the student will be charged a fee for the textbook and will have access to the textbook on the day the course begins. The eBook refund policy will follow the refund policy for tuition and fees approved by the Board of Trustees.
Why MCC is offering eBooks?
- Provides lower cost textbooks for students.
- Allows students the ability to download the eBook on up to 4 devices.
- Makes textbooks accessible to the student on the first day of class (No more waiting on financial aid to buy textbooks).
- Introduces a format and technology that will likely be used at universities and in the work place.
What is needed in order to access my eBook?
- Students must use a compatible personal electronic device of some type (Desktop computer, Laptop computer, Tablet, etc.) to access the eBook. Computers in campus computer labs and library may be used to access online eBooks.
- The device should have these minimum requirements: 1.0 gHz or greater, 512 MB of RAM or greater, 1024X768 resolution or greater, Internet connection for registration and downloading.
- Instructions will be provided on how to access/download your eBook on the first day of class.
- Each student must have their own eBook in order to complete homework assignments and tests from supplemental materials linked to the student’s eBook access information.
What devices are compatible with eBooks?
- Laptops/Desktops: Mac OS X 10.6 or later, Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 (32/64 bit)
- Tablets: Android, Google Nexus, iPad, Kindle Fire, Samsung
- Mobile Devices: Apple, Android
For more information on compatible devices, visit the VitalSource website.
What will Meridian Community College provide?
- MCC will provide the infrastructure (wireless internet) for students to use eBooks on campus.
- MCC will provide assistance to students in the utilization of the wireless internet network.
- MCC will provide chat support through the VitalSource website.
What MCC will NOT provide:
- MCC will not provide maintenance or repair to students’ personal devices.
- MCC will not resolve disputes concerning access to materials between the student and the publisher.
- MCC will not be responsible for lost or stolen personal devices.
Will I still be able to get a regular book for my class?
- The fee for the use of the eBook will be added to your account upon registration. There will be a limited number of printed textbooks in the bookstore at an additional cost.
What happens if I drop my eBook class?
- The eBook fee is non-refundable and cannot be applied to enrollment in the same course in the future if the course is dropped after the refund period. Check the Refund Policy/Withdrawal Procedures on EagleNet for the last refund date based on term.
Who do I contact about eBook questions or assistance?
- For eBook questions or assistance, you may contact or visit the Holladay Center for eLearning at email@example.com or 601-484-8669.